Children Of Divorce - The Law House

Children Of Divorce

At The Law House, we know that coming to an agreement over child arrangements can be extremely difficult when you’re separating from your spouse.

However, for the sake of your children and your family more widely, it’s crucial that you do reach an agreement with your former partner. Our family law experts are here to help you achieve this with as little stress and cost as possible.

Our services

We have many years of experience in dealing with divorce cases and provide a full range of services. Our solicitors can help you come to an agreement over residence (formerly referred to as custody) and contact (meaning who your children can see and when).

We can also assist with grandparents’ rights and relocation (when a parent wishes to move within the UK or overseas).

In addition, our specialists are able to help with specific issues, for example if you need to change your child’s school or their surname.


Many people mistakenly believe that if they can’t agree with their ex-partner over child arrangements, their only option is to go to court. In fact, this combative route is discouraged.

As well as being stressful for the adults involved, litigation can cause unnecessary distress to the children of divorce and it can cause tensions to escalate. In turn, this can make it more difficult to cooperate regarding children in the future.

If you are struggling to come to an agreement with your former spouse, your next step is mediation. A mediator is a trained, independent professional who can help you make an arrangement with your ex without going to court.

They will listen to both perspectives and, without taking sides, offer practical solutions that could help you to resolve your differences. Importantly, mediators will focus on what’s best for your children.

If the process is successful, your mediator will create a document setting out the terms you have agreed. Following this, you can instruct your solicitor to make this document, which is called a ‘memorandum of understanding’, legally binding.  

It’s important to be aware that even if you do eventually go to court, you are generally required to provide evidence that you attempted mediation before this point.  

Court orders

If you’re unable to reach an agreement with your former partner through mediation and you need to take your case to court, our experts can help you with a variety of court orders, such as a child arrangements order, a prohibited steps order or a specific issue order.

We know that parents often worry about the negative impact that a legal battle will have on their children. Our team will do everything possible to guide you and your family through this difficult time, helping you to overcome any issues and achieve the best possible outcome for you and your children.

Find out more

When you need expert legal help to get through a divorce, you can rely on us. We pride ourselves on the impressive levels of service and support that we provide our clients with.

As part of our commitment to offering exceptional care, we work flexibly and will fit around your schedule. We can meet you at a location of your choosing, whether it’s your workplace, home or elsewhere.

For a confidential conversation about your case, don’t hesitate to contact our family law solicitors on 020 3150 2525. You can also reach us by email at We’re standing by to guide you through your next steps.